View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
Just relax man!

You are still at a point in your life where you have options. Considering you are running what appears to be quite a successful business and going to school fulltime and managing to have as much of a "life" as you can outside of your work/education, stress is something that comes with the territory (I'm sure you know that already though). Your choice to continue your education and actually get a degree (and one that actually means something) is awesome.

The best advise I can give you is to do something that doesn't involve work or school. I know it may be tough to find time in your busy schedule but find a "hobby" or something that you enjoy doing outside of work and do that every week. Whether it be something like karate, softball, collecting something, etc., you just need to find something to take your mind off things.

For me, my Fire/EMS career is somewhat of my "get away". While it can be stressful doing the training and continuing education, it all is worth it. When we have that medical emergency call at 11pm for an elderly person in cardiac arrest, that is my get away. When I am running that call, everything else in life seems to just go away...I don't have to think about that test I have in class in 2 days, I don't have to worry about the 5 page paper I have to write for my ethics class, I just have to think about the scenario right in front of me. Even though I am paid to do this stuff, I use it as my get away a lot and it takes my mind off other things in life.

I really think you will benefit greatly if you can find something to take your mind off things. Just do it a little bit every week to help keep your stress levels down.

Hey brad,

Thats some of the best advice i could get. I was just thinking back about why i liked having a business in highschool so much. It was becuase my hobby was making peoples yards look great. While the money was there and i didnt have to get a job someplace else, i love owning equipment, not having any payments and no worries.

I think that is where my problem is. Landscaping was my thing to get away from it all, to listen to my ear buds/radio while im working, my mind was blank and i was just enjoying life. Now work is to pay the bills and have money to entertain myself on the weekends. When i am working, i am always thinking of ways to better my company and stressing about how long the work is taking.

I need to take a step back after this season is wrapped up and take a good look at my companies figures and how can i turn this business into something i enjoy again. I think my biggest problem is monthly payments (insurance, taxes, truck, gas, payroll).

I think i am going to add to that goal list from earlier. Pay off all my debt and pay for everything yearly upfront so i dont have to worry about it. Then i will pay taxes and do payroll as my only bills. Along with maintenance of coarse.

About the hobbies as well. I really enjoy going to MSU football and basketball games, as well as baseball and hockey games and go to my college a lot as well. My joy in highschool was playing baseball and i was good. I am a lefty and threw around 85 mph my junior year, actually recruited by Oakland University baseball as a sophmore as well as Hope College. Had a fall out with my coach and quit my senior year because he said that i wouldnt have time for my business. (big mistake on my part, but he told me that if i had my business i couldn't be in the rotation).... the reason being, school went from 7:25-2:55 everyday. We had either practice or a game everyday from 4-7:45 ish and usually would last longer than that. Then on saturdays we would have double headers from 10 am until around 4. So sunday would be really my only day to work(which i did my junior year) but then the huge growth came about and i focused all my energy on making money and growing my company.

MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE LIFE TO LIVE. I think the next 5 years of my life will be the most important and that is where the stress is going . I always see around me these young hot shot millionaires and i just want that to be me. But in reality, most of them are living off of daddies dime driving lamborginis and range rovers and working their way up in their dads business.

TIME TO START THINKING REALITY! I come from nothing, trying to make something for myself. Here is where my fortune starts! In landscaping!

Insured and Licensed

Page generated in 0.04623 seconds with 7 queries