View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
Hey brad,

Thats some of the best advice i could get. I was just thinking back about why i liked having a business in highschool so much. It was becuase my hobby was making peoples yards look great. While the money was there and i didnt have to get a job someplace else, i love owning equipment, not having any payments and no worries.

I think that is where my problem is. Landscaping was my thing to get away from it all, to listen to my ear buds/radio while im working, my mind was blank and i was just enjoying life. Now work is to pay the bills and have money to entertain myself on the weekends. When i am working, i am always thinking of ways to better my company and stressing about how long the work is taking.

I need to take a step back after this season is wrapped up and take a good look at my companies figures and how can i turn this business into something i enjoy again. I think my biggest problem is monthly payments (insurance, taxes, truck, gas, payroll).

I think i am going to add to that goal list from earlier. Pay off all my debt and pay for everything yearly upfront so i dont have to worry about it. Then i will pay taxes and do payroll as my only bills. Along with maintenance of coarse.

About the hobbies as well. I really enjoy going to MSU football and basketball games, as well as baseball and hockey games and go to my college a lot as well. My joy in highschool was playing baseball and i was good. I am a lefty and threw around 85 mph my junior year, actually recruited by Oakland University baseball as a sophmore as well as Hope College. Had a fall out with my coach and quit my senior year because he said that i wouldnt have time for my business. (big mistake on my part, but he told me that if i had my business i couldn't be in the rotation).... the reason being, school went from 7:25-2:55 everyday. We had either practice or a game everyday from 4-7:45 ish and usually would last longer than that. Then on saturdays we would have double headers from 10 am until around 4. So sunday would be really my only day to work(which i did my junior year) but then the huge growth came about and i focused all my energy on making money and growing my company.

MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE LIFE TO LIVE. I think the next 5 years of my life will be the most important and that is where the stress is going . I always see around me these young hot shot millionaires and i just want that to be me. But in reality, most of them are living off of daddies dime driving lamborginis and range rovers and working their way up in their dads business.

TIME TO START THINKING REALITY! I come from nothing, trying to make something for myself. Here is where my fortune starts! In landscaping!
I'm in a similar position as you with the coming from having nothing and building a fortune starting with landscaping. Next step is a business venture I'm starting with a very good friend of mine in 2012 that will be more towards construction & excavating and eventually motocross track design & construction and who knows from there. There is no limit to what you can do.

As for the baseball thing, I guess you just live and learn. You could have gotten hurt playing and ended that career and instead you chose to build a business, mistake? I'd think not. But that's my opinion.

If you're looking for a great hobby that would allow you to forget everything. Buy a dirtbike and riding gear and start riding/racing. Nothing in the world can describe the feeling of being 4th gear wide open on a 450 4-stroke up a hill to hit a 110ft triple at the top.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbJz6XGZso
Not my vid but explains it.

But after reading about your business I'm thoroughly impressed, especially that you're only 22, I'm 20 btw.
2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.

Page generated in 0.04867 seconds with 7 queries