View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Good question, what can give you a nice green pop in the spring, without too much flash in the pan spring overgrowth?

I question the merits of a 'winterizer' adding much of anything to early spring green up the following season. To me, I would rather do my final round fert early enough that the grass can fully utilize the nutrients and feed its roots in the fall, rather than wait until near freeze up and hope the fert carries over to next spring. Just too much going on with brutal winter conditions and spring melt off to have it make sense that a winterizer app will carry over to spring, even a small % of it.
http://turfdisease.osu.edu/turf-dise...-fertilization
This article agrees with your concept... Another article noted that most of the N applied when the soil is under 50 degrees is never utilized and eventually just leaches or volatizes away...

I've found that aloowing the grass to go dormant at a longer length, then cutting it to the shorter length in the spring starts the growth quicker... I'm also experimenting this fall with heavy apps of compost in certain areas along with the dormant overseed to see how that effects spring growth...

Page generated in 0.04463 seconds with 7 queries