Thread: Weeds and Beds
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdifonzo View Post
I don't have that license as of yet. How do I go about getting a license for chemicals? I've been pulling weeds by hand,but that's getting old quickly. I have a couple of clients whose beds have been neglected. When it was busy,I couldn't spend much time at their properties. Now it's getting dark a little earlier and I'm doing this after my regular job. Time is still a little tight.
http://hillsborough.ifas.ufl.edu/pro...er-Limited.pdf

Call that number tdifonzo and I am sure they will be having another course again soon and be able to get you set up with the information you need.

The course is simple if you are able to read and comprehend a label you will pass there is no other reason not to have the limited license other than just pure laziness - You will be required to have proof of insurance so if you do not yet have it that would be a good place to start.

This is a license that many take for granted that they can spray Round Up with only - but the truth is this is license has the potential to be very profitable part of your business for you if you know what to do with it as it allows you to use certain products to control fungus, pest on landscape beds. This does not sound like much once you figure it out - you will soon see that this is a quick additional upsell to every client you already service. So even your small $75 a month accounts suddenly become more profitable for example say the shrubs/bedding area are on the smaller side and you charge $40 every two months to fert and treat for pesticide. Guess what that same $75 a month account just turned into a $95 a month account and you are literally just spending a small amount of time doing the extra.
With you being on the property essentially Every week or EOW week during the winter - you are able to use IPM very effectively which not only is helpful for the health of the plants but also healthy for your pocketbook.

So you just turned this $75 a month account into a $95 a month account right...you are on your way up!! While mowing this account you notice the neighbors viburnum are covered with aphids so dense that the viburnum is black. You take 5 minutes out of your day and walk over and inform the neighbor...give them a quick education on what is going on and let them know that you can solve this problem as well as prevent it in the future. This neighbors husband mows this property so you will never pick it up but you just picked them up for $50 every two months for shrub and bed care.

You now just turned what used to be your $75 a month stop into a $120 month account. You are making the local lawn turds wonder what you up too but you will not tell them.

On the newest account although your agreed to take care of pesticide and fertilization of the bedding areas...weeding control was not included. You catch the home owner outside one day and make a comment on how many weeds are in the bed.....and she comments that yes her husband is so busy at work as is she and they have not had time to weed the beds properly. You know that with a little pre-emergent control you can significantly knock down the weeds you are seeing present in the future.....so you sell her a one time round up service as well as a ongoing pre-emergent service for a very nice upsell of a additional $75 every three months - You now just turned your once $75 a month stop into a $145 a month stop.....and how did you do it all...you went and did the right thing and got your license as required.

Now I make the example sound a little more simple than it really is as you will have to spend some time learning pest, learning what controls them, what time of year to expect certain issues etc in order to make your program one which the customer will stick with....but all in all the limited license is a very profitable investment that every lawn turd should make if they have any business sense about them.

Good luck and keep us updated on here and let us know when you follow through and what your results are selling the service.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!

Page generated in 0.05323 seconds with 7 queries