View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I ran tests in my old Pont Grand Am, E85 vs reg 87 octane gas. I have the data, but not immediately available. It was not 30% reduction in economy. Was closer to 10%.
You are buying into the ethanol basher's bogus info my friend.
And yes I do choose to support a fuel that is grown in the state where I live. I would expect that it will be further refined in the future to be an even better option. I also like propane, ok option for mowers (not sure I really want to lug tanks around). Am excitied to see what other options become available in coming years, lets hope sooner rather than later.
Your test of the Grand Am. I didn't know of a E85 version of a Grand Am. Did you just drive it on E85 or did you adjust the fuel map, injector size, compression ratio, timing, etc?

If you just put E85 in your Grand Am if you ran it for a period of time like that you would of ruined your engine. The engine map was on the richest setting it could be as the o2 sensors were reading lean. The ECU couldn't correct the fuel ratio as it was never programed to run that rich (meaning using more fuel). Also the fuel injection system most likely couldn't handle that volume.
The extreme lean condition would of wreck the engine long term.

Besides that the o rings, fittings, and fuel lines would of rotted out after long term use as it was not made from this.

How would I know this? From 1996 to 2000 I went to college in Mankato for automotive engineering technology. We (meaning the students) changed a 98 Malibu over to E85 before the chev ever did. We also did a 99 chev 1500 in a clean air challange. So I lived this stuff over the years. If it was not for the mn corngrowers money we wouldn't of done any of it. They pushed it hard.

We got 30% less mpg with engines compression up and fuel injectors matched with a program ecu's. Ran on engine dyno'sand on emmision dyno's.

Would it be nice to have locally grown fuel, sure. But it costs too much to make, it takes too much water to make (there aren't ethonal plants in drying area's of the US because of this), it increases food costs, and takes away land from making other foods we need. It sounds good but it isn't. It's lobbing buying at it's finest.

Quit drinking the corn flavored Koolaid.

Any more info on the grand am test? I would love to here about it.

Page generated in 0.05022 seconds with 7 queries