View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantculture View Post
Will be planting perennial Rye this week at a stable that is occupied Jan - April.
Looks great, but is a N hog so constant feeding is required or else it gets rust fungus pretty bad. It starts to check out in late april-may. It hangs on longer if kept moist/shade.
I don't like to overseed St A, because the rye gives too much competition.
I have not had a lot of Over seed experience. Our St Augustine turf stays pretty green all winter long. We have a year round growing season. I have heard that 4 pound of Rye per thousand sq ft is the over seed rate that doesn't chock out the Perennial turf.

Years ago when I lived in Louisiana and I did Over seed my pasture with Feed Oats not Seed Oats. Feed Oats will germinate about 65% and Seed Oats about 85% so there was no advantage to buying Seed Oats. I used standard Race Track Oats which means they are clean oats. Cost wise Oats were a great saving over Rye and my horses Ate it the same as Rye. I never fertilized the Oats but then I had Gumbo Mud and didn't fertilize any thing. BTW Deer loved the Oats better than Rye. PS.. Oats are more yellow in color than Rye.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Page generated in 0.03636 seconds with 7 queries