View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
We are trying something for the first time regarding overseeding with rye. We can only water once a week so we waited until this week to plant the rye. We are going to use Hydretain the moisture manager to see what happens. In years past we had excellant rye when we could water at will and had mowing almost year round. Last year was first year for once a week watering and it took until late February for the yards to cover completely but it did come up nicely. We don't use any anual rye it grows way way tooo fast in the spring
I'm shaking my head as I write this, Ed. Our water situation here in the Austin area has been extremely critical for the past year, and it's getting even worse as we move into the typically very dry winter months. Lake Travis is at it's 3rd lowest level in history. And there's no TS Hermine in sight.

I think that winter overseeding and weekly irrigation in the winter is totally irresponsible.

TAMU advises people to water once per month in the winter - if no rainfall has occured. That's what I advise my customers every year, and I've never had a problem with dessication. Our clay soils hold water really well, particularly in winter when ET rates are so low.

And besides, it looks plain stupid to have a deep green lawn when everything else is brown.

Wonder why we have such strict watering rules? It's because of practices like these.

Page generated in 0.03918 seconds with 7 queries