Thread: Hydraulic fluid
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2000, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I'd better do a little backtracking here. Today I received a call from Grasshopper. They explained the reason that the oil they sell is proprietary. NO, they don't manufacture it but they do add their own additives to it making it more wear resistant. They also told me that I could add Mobil 1 or Mobil DTE 26 Hydro fluid and not void my warranty. Adding either of those fluids would simply &quot;dilute&quot; the fluid already in the trans and not affect the wear characteristics. The single most important thing they told me was that I'd be foolish to change the fluid if the only reason I wanted to change it was for preventative maintenance. It seems that the G2 system was originally intended for the 928 model, meaning that those of us with a 725 that have the G2 trans shouldn't really have too much to worry about because the G2 is overkill on the 725. They told me that Grashopper is considering upping the change interval from 1000 hours to 1500 hours. There is more chance of contaminating the fluid from changing it than just leaving it alone. In other words &quot;if it ain't broke, don't fix it&quot;. Looks like I'll be sticking with my hopper til hell freezes over then buy another. <p>Ed<br>Kreiling's Lawn & Landscape Service<p><p>

Page generated in 0.03924 seconds with 7 queries