View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do tractors lose value

So i have been looking for a skid steer (45-75hp) or a Compact Tractor (35-50hp) for quite sometime now.

The brands i am looking at for Skids are :
-Bobcat (preffered)
-CAT (2nd on list)
-New Holland (3rd on list)
-Case (4th)

Compact Tractors:
-John Deere 3000 or 4000 series with r4 tires and loader
-Kubota Tractor ^compareable size with r4 tires and loader

Skid steers bottom out at around 10k for a decent condition skid with around 1000 hours on it(on the low side) and are normally between 13k-18k for a decent used skid steer with 600-900 hrs. The new value of them starts at around 25k and goes up from there.

Compact tractors bottom out at around 10k for very old, a lot of hours machine that comes with a loader and a lot smaller engine than a skid. (25-35hp) the 35-45 hp bottom out at around 15k. The new value on a 28-34 hp tractor ranges from 14k for just the tractor and with the loader around 18k-20k depending on brand. For a 35-45hp they go anywhere from 19k-26k base.

My question to you guys is what makes the skid steer value and compact tractor value drop? I mean, i have been looking for quite some time at tractors and the seem to not get any lower than 10k. Even with 3k hours and beat to hell paint(1995ish model) they are still going on Machine Finder, ebay, craigslist and online auctions for 10k-15k. WHICH IS NOT THAT FAR AWAY FROM THE BRAND SPANKIN NEW TRACTOR IN SHOWROOM CONDITION WITH 1 HOUR ON IT.

Skid steers have a relatively well resale value as well even when they are old.

I hope this is making sense to you guys but im not sure why tractors never go for cheap? I am looking to buy either machine this spring and i would like to spend somewhere in the 10-18k range for a skid or compact tractor with relatively lower hours. I was looking as skids in FL and GA awhile this summer for around 12-13k with 1200 hours on them , new paint job and reconditioned everything. One was a s185 and the other was a t190 (both 2007) with hi flow. I should have bought one when i saw them and wish i did. I cant find any better of a deal now. Now i am thinking just buying a brand new Kubota L2800 or B3300SU

What i plan on using it for would be material hauling, snow removal in winter months, pallet lifting, and grading. I would rather have a skid steer because of the lifting capasity and versitility but i wish they weighed less. I like the tractor option because of the panameramic view, the easy of destruction on turf, and because they have their niche in every day operations such as brush hogging, mowing acreage, and helping around the yard.

To sum this whole, rambling post off. I am wondering why you never see tractors and skids with 3-4k hours worth 4-7k. That machine is pretty much done and they are still asking 10k or more, sometimes even up to 15k for a pos skid steer and tractor.

Also, i want recomendations for machines as well. I know there are many threads about "WHICH SHOULD I CHOSE" but i would like opinions on this thread as well.

Insured and Licensed

Page generated in 0.03958 seconds with 7 queries