View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen424 View Post
I've owned a blackberry since they first came out. I've tried an iphone and all the other touch screen phones, but can't get used to the touchscreen.

I think having a smartphone is VERY NECESSARY. Now of course you'll have an argument with someone who doesn't own one, because they don't know what they're missing.

This is how my day starts....

* wake up - CHECK MY BLACKBERRY CALENDAR to see what i have for the day

* click the weatherapp ON MY BLACKBERRY to get an idea of the conditions

* check my emails ON MY BLACKBERRY (because I tell all of my clients to email me after 6pm because I have a wife and a son that get my time when I get home from work)

* while on the job, if a customer has some idea or wants a quote, I make a quick note of the conversation in BLACKBERRY NOTES

* if they want a tree replaced, I make add it as a task in BLACKBERRY TASK

* most of my clients are just as busy as I am and can't always make a phone call (meetings, etc) so they'll shoot me a quick email during the day. BLACKBERRY handles that well

* i do online invoicing with Wells Fargo and when I'm at the clients home who hasn't paid and "forgot, are you sure"....boom, just click on the Wells Fargo app on my BLACKBERRY and show him/her that "invoice 010 is marked unpaid".

I could go on and on
i'll argue that and i HAVE an iphone. most of the things you just mentioned aren't NECESSARY. are they nice, sure, but are necessary no.

i wake up every morning, eat breakfast and head to work. forget checking the weather app. if it's not raining when i go to work i'm starting my work and will continue to work until it's raining to much for me to get anything else done. when i get home i do my maintenance on my equipment, eat dinner, shower and check work email and return phone calls.

my schedule is always printed on paper the night before and ready to go out the door with me.

while it is nice to use apps to write down notes i personally use legal paper and a pen.

i may occassionally read an email i get during the day but most of the time i wait until the end of the day or until i'm home for the evening to read and respond to any emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen424 View Post
another thought....

the "necessity" argument is just dumb, imo.

you could cut a football field with a 22" toro push mower, so technically you don't "need" a 72" zero turn, right?

its about what makes the job faster and easier
well i know that if i start work at 8am and go from job to job not stopping to answer phone calls, emails or check weather apps i finish my work day easier and faster.

i'd much rather work 8am to 4pm and answer phone calls and emails after that when i'm home, than try and respond to phone calls and emails in between jobs and get home at 5pm instead.

Page generated in 0.03343 seconds with 7 queries