View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVF Lawn Care View Post
I am 20 years old and also in college. I started last summer with the 2 push mowers, trimmer and blower I already had. At first I had 3 lawns and just cut them myself but those people told others and they told others and so on. By August I had grown to 12 lawns and had been regularly paying a friend to help me since June. I charged roughly $25 per lawn and made pretty good money by the end of the season after gas, pay for the worker and repairs. Of course I also have a truck so its easier, but my dad did it when he was younger out of a station wagon.
I would look into a trimmer, maybe a cheap $80 Craftsman or something because having one of those will make your job look that much better. Same thing with a blower, just find a cheap one or just use a broom if you don't care about time. Too bad your down in Florida because I have like 5 trimmers I don't use.
Anyways, to get these lawns I made an appealing flier of the services I offered (I also played the poor neighborhood college student card) and I walked door to door in a 3 block radius. Doing that got me only 3 customers but that got my foot in the door and I moved forward from there.
Sorry for the extremely long post but I figured I could help because we were roughly in the same situation. Good luck!
Thanks DVF, and thanks for even mentioning having extra trimmers! I'm finding there are some incredibly nice people on this site.

Seeing all the responses and hearing stories of how others who got started were in my same position makes it seem doable.

My only concern now is doing what you did, only here in Florida. I've been hearing time and time again how cheap the market is here, people are offering services for as cheap as $10. That destroys the market.

Page generated in 0.04410 seconds with 7 queries