View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVF Lawn Care View Post
Yea I hear ya. It's the same up here but I have found that people are willing to pay a little more to help a kid go through college, hopefully its the same for you. Just take it a week at a time and do a lot of walking door to door. I found that worked best for me. I tried leaving fliers on doorsteps but they sat there for weeks and I got no calls. It was only until I talked to people face to face and introduced myself that people became interested.
I've been hearing that from others, too. Connecting with the potential market is the best way to get your foot in the door, however, I'm not sure walking door to door as a form of advertising would be something I myself could do. Not that I have a problem marketing my business, rather I'm not big on solicitation. In my neighborhood for example, we have on occasion random tree or lawn service guys come knocking on our door advertising their business. For the most part it seems like most of the neighbors have a negative sentiment toward this form of solicitation, although that may be so only because they people who take to this form of marketing are typically low-ballers, six of them at a time hopping out of the back of a truck. Perhaps if a dapper, well put together man showed up instead, these neighbors would react differently.

Part of me realizes this in your face approach works many times, while the other part thinks the customers who are most willing to pay will already be looking for a lawn service before someone comes knocking; in a sense they don't need to be offered a service via door to door marketing, because they'll already have contacted an lawn service.

Page generated in 0.04441 seconds with 7 queries