View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronkshorticulture View Post
please explain how removing thatch from the turf to allow water into the soil profile is not an "organic" practice. This allows water to penetrate into the soil profile. If thatch is thicker than an inch it impedes water, nutrients and organic matter from entering the soil profile. Top dressing with an organic material improves drainage, evens out rough terrain, etc. As organic matter breaks down it filters through the existing soil to improve texture and overall health. Im confused with how these are not organic turf practices.
This particular aspect of lawn care really goes to the heart of the differences between natural and artificial practices.
Thatch is a symptom of an artificial practice, rather than being a naturally occuring phenomena in healthy turf.

Once that problems are detected and corrected it is a simple matter to return the turf to healthy levels of 'thatch' as well. This happens as the decay of dead plant material equals or exceeds its build up.

This is a basic or fundamental principle, that guides the specific detailed scenario of each lawn, climate, soil and type of grass. Once this principle is firmly in the mind of the professional, the rest comes easy.

Tell me about your soil, ferts, water practices, and as long as it is 'cool season' grasses I can lay out specific ideas that should turn a hydrophobic thatch layer into a nicely structured soil in less than one season.
This is one case in which 'organic' practies are way cheaper than conventional...

Page generated in 0.04061 seconds with 7 queries