View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Well, first of all, I don't think your average customer really cares a whole helluva lot whether we pull up in a pickup or eco car. I think most of them expect a contractor to pull up in some sort of truck. But one of my biggest competitors in town has these little Prius cars for all their salesmen/estimators. They grew by 18% last year and broke the $5Mil. in annual sales mark for the first time. So I'd have to say that just because they pulled up in a car rather than a truck didn't seem to effect their ability to land jobs at all.

I drive a full-size truck because I need a full size truck. With 28 employees, I'm obviously not the one out there installing landscapes or mowing lawns very often. But I am the one checking on jobs in progress. And often times I need a certain tool or a 12" sprinkler head, or a SAM head, some planting fertilizer bags, or any number of tools or parts that the crew may have run out of or forgot to bring. So having a lot of tools and parts in the back of my truck makes my company run a lot more efficiently. I also have a fair amount of gear like measuring wheels, material samples, etc. in the back. All this stuff wouldn't fit in anything else.

As long as you look professional and have a reason for driving what you pull up in, I don't think the customer really cares or thinks about it too much.

Now, if you pull up riding a Moped or Scooter, I think you may notice your % of sales decreasing. That would be because you would just look too odd. Similarly, if you pulled up in a Corvette, Mercedes, Hummer, etc. I think you'd also lose jobs. For one, they'd think you are definitely making too much. And for two, you'd come off like a pompous braggart. Same goes for some of these gigantic F-350, lifted, loud exhaust, dually, quad cab, mini monster trucks that I've seen a couple of landscapers in my area driving. I don't think that gets you too much respect. It makes you look like you are wanting attention a little too much.

Just keep it normal and professional and something close to what the client expects to see you in. Other than that, doesn't really matter.
Very similar to what I do. I have a few of everything in my truck.

I keep waiting for them to roll out a eco el camino... now that would be the real deal.

Page generated in 0.03710 seconds with 7 queries