View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I'm not seeing any significant thatch here at all, with the exception of maybe one of the cores from the aerator, and even that is not clearly thatch. This is not surprising at all given most turf type fescues are not not prone to creating thatch.

Not really sure how anyone can determine anything about a turf or a soil with such shallow cores, or make any determination about water infiltration from that pic.
You raise an interesting question...
Are these various plugs from different parts of the lawn? OR One or two long plugs that were broken up before they could be photographed?

I'd assumed that they were gathered from different spots by a 2 pronged manual aerator tool...

Regardless:
Image no. 4, from the top, OR no. 1 in the 2nd row is very familiar to me. I could recognize that in a B&W photo, as long as I knew it was soil. It almost like a plastic cylinder that has been weather-checked for several years, doesn't it? These clay shots are super-smooth...

Anyways, assuming that no. 2, in the first row, is about 1.5 or 2inches long, we could be looking at about 3/4 in. layer of brown thatch atop that plug... at least that is what I see... I agree, I don't see any signs of living thatch either, (and wouldn't expect to in fescue)...
More pix on the way, sounds great to me...

Imagine how it feels, to be getting busy now, and having thawed soil that can be plugged... Even if our mild 10 day forecast holds true, I've probably 3 weeks to wait, and that's being optomistic...

Page generated in 0.04551 seconds with 7 queries