View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Thatch ..... yes or no? ...
Here, the use of Phasthound's idea of having a ruler would help, but let's take a stab at it with the assumtion that our depth is 6"-8"...

This photo makes me think that we are dealing with a heavy soil, in which water management was very well done... Notice the 'cumbly' nature of the top few inches of the root zone... Too much, or too little water done regularily, would not look that way... IMO...

I believe Kiril has seen the Illinios Ext. Office photo that I've referenced many times before... and I believe that everyone who has observed the photo recognizes that it was of "Living Thatch", by their definition...

This kind of thatch has living roots and stems growing in the dark colored layer, that sits above the soil level... The reason that cool-season grasses grow this way is because there is always plenty of N and H2O, sitting on the surface of the grass...

From what I can observe from the photo, is the blackened area directly below the green of the grass may possibly be , what I call, "living Thatch"... A closeup of the darkened bases of the grass plants, would give a better idea of what we are actually looking at...

On a side note: This type of Living Thatch often becomes a problem when the growth of roots and stems, tangled tightly at the surface, becomes hydrophobic... Obviously this turf has a nice root system and good soil structure, for quite a way down into the profile... therefore I would say that hydrophobia is not an issue here...

Page generated in 0.04015 seconds with 7 queries