View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post
Here is an example of the maintenance records that we keep on our equipment.

Does anyone have any examples of their own? I am always looking for new ideas to improve on this...

I have a pretty in depth equipment maintenance procedure that I'll touch on briefly here. We use a system of one mechanic's binder, and several numbered files for the paperwork.

Preventative maintenance is handled using a monthly inspection procedure. We have 3 preventative maintenance forms in the binder, trucks, trailers, and one general form for all other types of equipment. These are set up in check list form, covering every possible inspection point or topic on the equipment to ensure nothing is missed. Issues found are repaired at this time, any required fluid changes are performed as well. We use a numbering system, each piece of equip (everything, trucks to wheel barrows) has a number attached to it. There is also sheet in the binder that has all the equip numbers down the side, and all 12 months across the top. Each time a preventative maintenance inspection is performed, that equip number and current month, get a check. This keeps track of the inspections, which are performed on a continued basis throughout the duration of the month. We also have seasonal scheduling of on and off season equipment inspections factored into this as well using color coding on this sheet (no point inspecting plows each month all summer!).

For repairs, or if something breaks down in the field, a supervisor of that particular crew will fill out what we call a ERO, or equipment repair order sheet. This is then received by the mechanic, and he will schedule and perform the repair. He will then fill out a "Equipment Service Record Sheet" for the repair. This sheet tracks all specifics of the repair, from labor time and parts, to issues and notes. This is stapled to the initial Repair Order that generated this repair, and put in that equipment's file.

This all might sound complex for repairs, but I use a very basic system of a single 1" binder complete with blank forms, instructions on the system, and a flow chart to better understand the system, along with several numbered, wall hung files to make the flow of information as easy as possible for the crew. Each different form has a number on it that corresponds to file that paper goes in once its filled out (when laying this out I needed to remember I'm dealing with landscapers, not filing clerks).

Even though it might take more time than a more basic system, it helps ensure equipment will arrive on site free of defect each and every time. I got so sick of bringing a piece of equipment to a site, only to find out there is a mechanical issue that will effect our efficiency on the job (it would have been nice to take care of that last week when we weren't using it) Or we bring out 2 wheel barrows, only to find out the bolts have been loosening up for 2 months and no one said or did anything, so now the wheel comes loose in the middle of a production work day, and we loose efficiency and production (just old examples that come to mind).

At the end of the month, all the paperwork generated for equip maintenance is loaded into a neat desk scanner, digitized into PDF, and automatically filed in the computer system. From there, I use the information for budgeting purposes, and to track maintenance and repair expenditures to make more accurate decisions when purchasing new equip, or deciding to swap out older equip, etc.

If interested, I can take a few pictures of the binders, etc...

Last edited by merrimacmill; 02-24-2012 at 04:07 AM.

Page generated in 0.03867 seconds with 7 queries