View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker Lawn & Landscaping View Post
Relitively new to lawnsite, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I am bidding on a large mowing job at a steel mill 7 acres maybe. for right now a am mostly a residential service provider and i only run one lesco walk behind (one man operation). they want the front mowed every week (maybe one third of total lawn) and the back mowed every other week (at least two thirds). it is a steel mill so the lawnis rough little to no turfgrass, rough terrain, groundhog holes, ruts here and there some debris ect. i know if i get a ztr it will do fine on the front lawn and i can use it on other propreties that i maintain so overall it would be much more usefull to me. im not sure if it could take the beating out back with the terrain and only being cut every other week im worried that it will bog down/ not have power to get the job done quickly or make a decent cut especially this spring. should i look for a small tractor with a belly mower. i could get a good deal on a 154 international cub lo boy, but i wouldnt have any other use for the machine at this time. and would be a pain to mow some parts of the front with. money is rather tight ideally i would have both but the question is used tractor /w belly mower or used ztr? i am truly stumped at this point any suggestions?
Hello, I mowed 8 acres for 30 years with a 154 Cub LoBoy and have been using a zero turn for going on 3 yrs.

The 154 has a weak drive clutch, and a (sometimes) troublesome, and very expensive, deck clutch. I've seen some go 40+ years w/no problems and then there's the "rest" that cost out the yin yang.

A new deck clutch set up for a 154 is about 1600.00 so BE CAREFUL. Replacing the deck clutch setup can sometimes cost more than the tractor's worth. (That's why you see a lot of the 154 deck clutches welded "engaged").

Later models (184's ,185's) have a totally (and much better) setup on both the drive clutch and the deck clutch. I would choose (by a long shot) either of those over the 154.

As for comparing the Cub LoBoy's to a Z. In rough hilly places, the LoBoy wins hands down. In flatter, smoother conditions, just the opposite.

As for the engine in a LoBoy, it can't be beaten for such a simple gas engine. I sold mine with about 7500 hrs on it and it still ran perfectly and didn't use, or leak, a DROP! I'm sure it's still going strong today. The Loboy engines are designed to run at, or below (depending on the year and carb) 2400. That contributes to their longevity.

Stan

Last edited by StanWilhite; 02-24-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Page generated in 0.04160 seconds with 7 queries