Thread: winter temps
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
It's a little different down here. We still pretty much have to cut 2x in the winter. It just doesn't get as cold down here as up in central and north. Plus, even if it's a week I'm supposed to cut and it doesn't need it, I'm showing up to do whatever else needs done. There are a lot of companies down here that show up every week in the winter no matter what. When you factor in the summer time, how much the account is(~$150 or less per month), your not really making a whole lot of money. Not saying your business is this way, just that a lot of guys here do things like that and wonder why they aren't making much money. If you've verbalized some kind of agreement with a customer, sure I guess you got to do whatever. If you've given them a written agreement that outlines everything they get for a certain price, they have no legitimate right to complain bc it's in writing and if they want things above and beyond, they need to pay.
Posted via Mobile Device
In comparison to the last couple of years we had a pretty mild winter so the turf really needed to be cut here every two weeks on most properties this year. The exception is those that had bad brown patch and or those who have little to no proper fertilization and care. These along with my few bahia accounts are actually the most profitable as many of them have not been touched since Mid to Late October on the Turf.

The longer and longer I do this I find that sometimes the superior lawn and property does not always mean superior profits. I used to shy away from Bahia lawns as they suck to mow, generally are dusty and the home owners who have bahia generally are not too keen on turf quality. As long as they agree to my amount per month.....life is grand. I am actually kicking myself in the tale for not agreeing to take more of these accounts on sooner. I know that I am not going to get a lawn turd award for maintaining them...but at this point I really do not care because I have figured out that the old bank account matters a little more than my pride.

My focus this year is on growing inside the subdivisions that we are already in. With Gas approaching $4 quickly it only makes sense to me to do so. Also at this point we are really maxed out for me and a helper. Any more outlying our regular route I do not feel are going to be valuable in the long run. Next year if all goes as planned...a new trailer and truck will be on the road. The thing is I figured out that expansion of any sorts is good if it is profitable, crappy looking lawn to excellent lawns.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!

Page generated in 0.03378 seconds with 7 queries