View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
The pest controllers will do a better job at trying to adhere to the new regulations, as difficult as they may seem. Big Box companies are definitely behind the eight ball on this

I agree, the rule is almost impossible to comply with because our weather is so localized in general. I may have rain on my side of the street, but not on the other.

The ridiculous thing about the rule is that they burden the wrong people with it. Homeowners are the worst offenders and contribute the most to excess application, run off and contamination. Professionals (at least most) are judicious in their applications.

Just another way for the government to put the wood to the little guy.
I am waiting to see pyrethroids either removed from the shelves in hardware stores or their labels revised to reflect the same restrictions placed on Pro's. Including the one concerning no broadcast applications to outdoor hard surfaces that are open to weather. It is not impossible to imagine homeowners hosing down walkways and patios with pyrethroids just because they saw an ant. That would actually cut down substantially on the bifenthrin running off into surface waters. The most illogical thing is to have an AI designated as "for sale to, storage by and use by professional applicators only", yet the same material in a different concentration and package is for sale to people who will not obey the labels no questions asked. It did shock me to see "thrins" sold over the counter 20 years ago because I knew they were federal RUP if sold for crop use. As long as these products are sold over the counter, the pollution problem will continue until they are banned. At that time, the call will be for a total ban on turf and pest control use.

Another thought: Would usage of a resin or polymer sticker(Latron B1956) help keep AI's on treated surfaces even if they are exposed to rain?

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738

Page generated in 0.04363 seconds with 7 queries