Thread: Smaller guys
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
How many of you solo guys or guys with one employee think about getting out of the business? I've been flipping a coin on to stay in this business or go back to working for the power company. Either way the money is pretty close maybe a little bit better going to work for the man. It just seems the business is trashed. At least the mowing side. Don't get me wrong you can make a decent living doing it but I just can't get over this ceiling without stepping up back into commercials and then it's just to much for me or to much risk involved. I've been thinking of taking on a partner to run the business during the week days and I'll help when I can. I know I can count on one person that it would be possible as we have ran other business together already. I'm aware of the whole partner thing going south so I don't want any lectures on that. I just wanted to know if this is common to want to get out of the business every year as it start to get roaring.
Mowing only is a tough gig right now with all the new people giving it away. So diversify and offer other services to separate yourself from the lawn turds. When your out doing all the work in the heat sometimes it seems better to just go get a job and lose the headaches. The key in my opinion is to get your business to the point where you have a couple employees making you money while you focus on sales and managing the business. I have actually decreased my number of employees and customers and stopped chasing my tail and started offering services others don't, invested in equipment and with less employees less headaches I am making more money. I am now at the point where I need to get a couple more guys again and get my azz out of the dirt every day. If I got stuck just being the head lawn turd on the mower I would consider going back to corporate myself. I made six figures as a suit and tie salesman in the printing industry but got sick of making someone else wealthy. I personally hope I never work for someone else ever again but it's not for everyone.

Page generated in 0.04823 seconds with 7 queries