View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
fert and squirt would be nice to do only, but I find in my area I need mowing to keep things going.

I did some math the other day on a few accounts. I estimated that for a $60 app customer who I treat 6 times(6x$30 profit), aerate($100 profit), and seed($30 profit) that I made 160 profit(I was just figuring in my head and not exactly sure). That same customer is a $35 mow. Now if I figure $5 profit per mow(which might be low) x 35 visits I make $175 profit.

For the year my bottom line profit is better on mowing, but then you need to figure in 35 mowing visits vs 8-10 app visits.

It's all about learning and customer satisfaction. You will find that residential customers are very loyal. I'm hoping my app side takes off since there are few app companies here.
One BIG thing your missing is this.

How many lawns can you mow alone? Using your numbers you make 175 profit per customer..My guess is a one man show can take care of
60-70 lawn mowing customers?

look at it this way. You mow 70 customers $35 per mow (again using your numbers) that is a yearly gross of $87,700

A one man fert guy should easily be able to handle 400 customers, really much more if you wanna work your tail off... but using your numbers that same guy will do $144,000 in gross sales.

My customer base average is 535 per customer...using that 400 customer base my gross sales should be $214,000 gross sales. There is no way in hell I can mow and make that same gross number.

Oh, and to answer the first question on the post, Ive been a fert & squirt guy since 1986. I offered mowing for the first 6 years after I started my own business in 1994, it took me a while to figure out that was not what was making my company money

Page generated in 0.04733 seconds with 7 queries