View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 05:50 PM
MV Property Care MV Property Care is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western PA
Posts: 169
I don't know what state you live in, they might be different. I live in Pennsylvania. You have to have workman's compensation Insurance and make all the necessary tax deductions including unemployment and social security. I like you was overwelmed and did not want to use quick books because it would be a learning curve and I didn't want to screw it up. I contacted a payroll company called Pay time. They are very helpful. They told me what I needed to do. I first had to get workman's comp insurance. You can go through a broker, but you should get a better deal with the insurance company that has your liability insurance. It goes by the estimated annual payroll you will be employees will be making. Usually it's about $800-1200 premium for every $10,000 in payroll.

Next as soon as you hire an employee you have to go to the sates's goverment website and apply for a tax withholding number and a unemployment witholding number. There is a reason why you don't want to have the numbers before you get employees but I forget. If you don't already have one you will probably need an Employer Identification number. You can be a sole propriortor and use your SS# if your not a LLC or sometype of Corporation.

The payroll service recomended that I use direct deposit since I didn't have a physical address other than my place of residence. I don't have a shop where there is a person there all the time.

The paroll service charges about $30 a week wich is awesome, they take care of everything and they will have all tax documents at the end of the year.

Google payroll services in your area. Hope this helps
Reply With Quote
Page generated in 0.04067 seconds with 8 queries