View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.soils.usda.gov/sqi/concep...ogy/fungi.html
***The third group of fungi, pathogens or parasites, cause reduced production or death when they colonize roots and other organisms. Root-pathogenic fungi, such as Verticillium, Pythium, and Rhizoctonia, cause major economic losses in agriculture each year. Many fungi help control diseases. For example, nematode-trapping fungi that parasitize disease-causing nematodes, and fungi that feed on insects may be useful as biocontrol agents.***

I'm not trying to be critical here, but this is the type of noninformation that seems to permeate every that I read... Notice: Vericullum disease(is mentioned), and that, "Many fungi help control diseases..." Notice now the switch to more generalized chatter about nematodes and insects, which has nothing to do with "Competing" microbes...

I this far into it and have only seen pre-requisite background to soils biology 101, with no definitive direction to search for various habitats and competing interactions...

Again: Not Trying To Be Critical...

Page generated in 0.03407 seconds with 7 queries