View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 01:07 AM
rickpilgrim rickpilgrim is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wausau, WI
Posts: 251
In golf course speak or Toro terms:

A finish mower is used on putting areas and such, normally a reel type mower with 21-25" width of cut heads and height of cut is around 5/8" They can be walk behind 21's to fluid drive/multi gang ride on units like our 88" Toro Greensmaster.
A trim or surrounds mower is used for the walking/lawn areas that surround the driving ranges or putting greens. These are sometimes small rotary mowers of less than 3' cut but this term is normally used for out Toro GroundsMaster 325D and other front cut/ rear steer(or ztr front cut) rotary mowers of 55"-88" width of cut. cut hieght is from 1 1/2"-3 1/2" or so
A rough cut mower is what Golf courses and Toro use to discribe a rotary or ganged flail mower, usually applies to a Toro 455 or 580D WAM mower that is used for large areas of lawn that surround the entrance and non golfing areas of the golf course. Height of cut is normally 2 1/4"-5"

I learned this 3 yrs ago when the "new" Toro rep stopped by wondering where the golf course was as he figured any one with 4 300 series Groundsmasters and a GreensMaster must be a golfing resort or something.
Go figure
Reply With Quote
Page generated in 0.03767 seconds with 8 queries