View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I will fill you guys in on the X-Factor deck.

1. Provides a nice smooth manicured cut
2. The first year or two it will stay spotless clean then over time as the paint wears off and it will get buildup under the deck
3. During the time the deck stays clean it wont clump much in wet conditions but as that paint wears off the clumps will begin
4. The discharge leaves a bit to be desired. It kind of directs the grass down and out instead of straight out and you will find in heavy growth periods it will leave strips of debris just out the side of the discharge from it throwing the grass down and out instead of straight out

I like the X-Factor deck and have been using ours daily since 2008 but I wish gravely could tweak the deck a little to make it throw the grass straight out like an exmark or 7 Iron does. It forces you to raise the deck and make a second pass in thick conditions to clean up the debris.

That air seat scares me to be honest. I can only imagine the cost to replace it. Both of our gravely zero turns have standard seats and neither one of them lasted more than 3 years before they started falling apart and they want almost $300 for a standard seat. God help you if you need to replace that air ride seat.

Also for some reason they seem to have an issue with the idler pulley bearings on the deck. Our 34Z has gone through 2 in 2000 hours and our 160Z has had one replaced last year at about the 1200 hour mark. Never had one fail on any other mower before.

I do like gravely a lot but I also feel certain things need to be improved. I do not like how our 160Z turns (or the 34Z but that is to be expected out of such a narrow ztr). It always feels like it is dragging one tire even on concrete and tends to tear up lawns. The downhill traction is non existent. The Z925A I demoed last year turned on a dime and did not tear lawns up. It also threw grass out (way out!) and left a nice cut. That may be my next mower purchase.

Almost forgot. We have a couple gravely dealers but none of them are REAL close like the exmark, bobcat, kkubota etc etc dealers are. Also I can call looking for a part and they almost never have it. They always have to order it and pay for overnight shipping plus they always want MSRP for every part.

2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)

Page generated in 0.03484 seconds with 7 queries