View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
I am with you here Jason. Why in the hell would somebody be cutting at 4.125? He is cutting the same type of grass that we cut and 3 to 3.5" is the typical summer cut height for northern fescue. I have never seen any mower leave a smooth carpet like cut at that height. The picture of the stripes above makes the stripes look good but look how shaggy the actual cut looks.
To eaches own, I live in a rural area in Ohio so most people don't even think of having weed control. What grows is what grows and here you have LOTS of clover, dandilions, chick weed, nutsedge (spelling). When I mow places that are loaded with weeds I mow at 3.5 because the one think that looks really bad is when you mow a place high and it doesnt even take off the white flowers of the clover and dandilion stems (ewwwwww I hate them!).

On the few yards that Im lucky enough to mow that have fert program and weed control I mow at 4.25" because

1. Stripes are soooooooo much darker (look at his pictures)

2. If you mow to short you get the brown look which seems to come at 3.5" in a really good yard.

3. Grass will be healthier if its cut long like this. The shorter you cut it the more stress you put on it.

4. flying seeds (suck as dandilion seeds, the white puff balls I like to call them) have a harder time making it to dirt when grass is left long.

I just had the pleasure to drive through one of the nicest sub divisions in our area (about 45 min from my home, hadnt been through it before). About 100 nice homes and I dont think any of them didnt have fert and weed control done. These yards were so freakin nice and the stripes were insane dark. Just simply picture perfect!!!! Get into the rear of the division and guess who it is??????? Brickman........... Anyways, got to chattin with one of there employees and asked them a few questions about there enclosed trailer setup because i was looking for ideas. after a few I told them I was blown away at how good of a job the exmarks were doing and couldnt believe the stripes they were laying and guess what he said................. "mow high dude". Sounded funny the way he said it because it made him sound like a stoner but I knew what he meant. I asked him what heights they mow and he said in that sub division they mow 4"s unless the customer asks otherwise.

Like i said, to eaches own. It was neat getting to see one of there 24ft trailers up close and personal. They definetly have everything covered and thought of in those trailers!!

Page generated in 0.03893 seconds with 7 queries