View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwright238 View Post
I replace blades that have been beaten up by rocks and foreign objects but I don't sharpen them first. If the wear and tear is not too bad, that is when I break out my angle grinder with a 60grit flap wheel and put a 45 degree edge on the cutting side and a few steep passes on the backside.

How do you guys take care of your blades? Tempted to try "new" blade designs but always keep going with regular mulching blades. Anyone have a success story on a particular blade design I should give a try?
This is another "personal preference" thing, but I've seen several blade manufacturers literature that says the correct grind angle is 27 degrees. To me, 45 degrees sounds like it may be a little too much, but I do understand your logic. I'm sure the nicks don't dig in as deeply when the angle is 45 deg.

I wonder if the air flow over the blade (before hitting the sail) would be affected by any significant amount if the grind angle is at 45 deg? Don't know how much difference (if any) there would be in the cutting results of a 27 deg blade versus a 45 deg blade. That might be a good experiment for someone with a little extra time on their hands.

Last edited by StanWilhite; 05-30-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Page generated in 0.03305 seconds with 7 queries