View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Well crap, after doing this gig for over 30 years I just found out you can't mow at full speed.

Huh, wish someone would have told me that a long time ago.

No, you can't go full speed all the time. But you don't have to go slow all the time either. It depends on the lawn, the height of the grass, whether it's dry or wet, etc. I agree completely with this.

I have no idea what a Cub Cadet will or won't do, but some of these guys advice is ridiculous, some of it is OK and some of it is right on. Most of it is getting a feel for the mower and what it can and can't do.

As for mowing in circles, those ballparks with circles look pretty awesome. Besides, it beats the crap out of raking the whole lawn.

I have never seen a ball park where they mow in circles in the same direction for every pass. Every single one I have seen where they made circles used alternating passes, which will not keep blowing the clippings in towards the center to make raking easier like the OP mentioned trying to do. Mowing in circles in the same direction until you reach the center of the lawn looks like crap when you are cutting grass that can and will stripe easily. Down south it may not matter which way you mow, but on northern turf it does, if you want repeat business.

And orangemower, you haven't made a single mistake? Whether business related or the actual work? A manager of a lumber yard knows everything about the lawn business and prevented any and all mistakes. Wow, better watch out Donald Trump. That is truly amazing, that you have never made a mistake.
I agree with being a little easier on the new guys. We all have/had to start and learn somewhere.

Page generated in 0.04489 seconds with 7 queries