View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Well it looks like everything is pointing toward adding more pitch than 1/8' that it's set at now to possibly eliminated the few stragglers I have here and there. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for the schooling.

Has anyone adjusted a 400 series deck yet? I'm also confused on the need for blocking under the deck for the process as it says in the owners manual (not on the edge guard but on the lip of the deck). I just dropped the deck to the 3.5" mark like they recommend and used my new John Deere blade height gauge I bought for less the $7 and adjusted side to side then front and back on both sides and rechecked. The blocking of the deck they talk about in the manual makes no sense to me. If the deck is supported by blocks how in the heck do you get a reading?

By the way I also found that the surface your on has to be dead pan flat or things are thrown off more than you'd think. The concrete surface I'm using I thought was as flat as any and found out differently when I started chasing my tail around the deck adjusters.
I dont want to confuse things but I think you would want less pitch per the Gravely manual. More pitch is going to give you more engine power(less vacuum). More heel should increase cut quality(more vacuum). At least thats how I understand it after reading the manual. Personally I would try leveling it first before heeling to see if your going in the right direction. Now that I think about it it makes sense. Think of the blade like an airplane wing. If the blade is pitched down in the front it creates down force. If the blade is heeled down in the rear it creates up force.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 06-03-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Page generated in 0.03132 seconds with 7 queries