View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I have always respected your opinion. You have always been helpful and never degrading. At least that i can remember. And i have actually seen pics of your jobs!

I still dont understand the benefit of poured 4" concrete on virgin ground vs 4" solid cinder blocks on virgin ground. The ground here is bedrock 1' down
Posted via Mobile Device
1. everything starts with a foundation, soil unless it is solid rock is not a foundation. BTW title 24 requires a barrier between rock and concrete over it.

in your case you could tie a small mat of #3 steel in 10 mins with $20 of material and labor. next you could job mix the concrete (thursday we job mixed 10 cyds) to keep the cost and the time frame down. place a pond specific vault (shell out the dough, that's what the customer is paying for)on the green concrete after you complete everything but the placement of the fixture. you can still complete the job in one day if you follow the rule of 7Ps.

2. KEY words of wisdom, be professional in every aspect of your business, the first sign of "hack" work (man i hate that word) and your client will start looking for loopholes. there are people that have 1 and only 1 job in higher levels of construction (they find things that aren't to standard and stop payments or backcharge the subs. this is a highly paid position somewhat akin to being a dentist, highly paid and generally hated). what seems like a waste of money to you can make the difference between having another satisfied customer and your worst nightmare.

3. your bottom line. if spending the money for the vault will make such a difference in your bid then you prolly don't want this job. is the job going to bring you more and hopefully higher paying jobs or not, if not then you prolly don't want this job. if you continue onward, do the job without using a manufactured vault and the customer who (might have more upstairs than you think) has investigated pond sites and construction literature from sellers and maybe other contractors (BTW this is a pond site) sees what's going on and decides not to pay or holds up some cash, wants a deal now. this scenario can get much worse with the courts and the state lic. board looking in.

4. you and i won't look at the same project the same way, everyone has their own idea of how a job should be built, what materials to use and so on. the one thing that we will prolly both agree on is that we want to stay in business a long time. that is a daily battle and your problem, my problem, tadpoles problems are the same, there is no second chance for a first impression, we are only as good as our latest job and we can turn from champ to chump in the blink of an eye. my advice...........don't blink.

i wish you the best in this and all of your endeavors

Page generated in 0.03496 seconds with 7 queries