View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 04:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A big issue with the long load time on the home page is that you (or your designers) used a FULL size image (ie, came from your camera, 2592x1944 pixels, over 1meg) image on the home page that was not properly resized (down to display size of 388x291, which when I just saved out a copy properly resized, it was only 68k (0.068megs))

See http://gtmetrix.com/reports/dreaming...g.com/sdiUSRCd and on that report go to "TimeLine" tab to see how things load.

And wow, just realized, same thing for the header image, it is actually larger than you are displaying it, which again will needlessly increase load.

On the gallery page, again, for the thumbnails, each of those is the full size image, instead of a proper thumbnail. And when you click on each of them you get a 404 error.

Being that it was designed by an actual web development company, the fact that there is no validation on the form is pretty bad. You probably just got 2-3 emails from me just clicking submit on the forms without actually filling them out (and just a hint, using capcha is not the answer. IMO that is a last resort step to stopping a form from being abused)

Lastly, yeah, the code behind the site is broken, not in terms of something minor, but a major thing like trying to use <table> tags outside of the <body> tags, using < title > (dang forum forced the spaces LOL) tags in the <body>, and a few others. While that will be greek to you, your web developer will (well should) get what this means and how big of a problem it is!

To be honest I had seen them listed as the developer on some other sites when I worked for a web development firm in North Canton (right beside the airport), but ouch the code!! just goes to show you can still have something that on the outside looks good, but isn't designed right. (which can mean no guarantee how it will display in all browsers, including future ones, as well as taking longer to render because the browser has to guess at what the bad code is supposed to do, especially on mobile devices).

Sorry to have to knock your friend so bad, but as a fellow developer, I have high expectation from web development companies, especially when they tag a site that they did it. It isn't anything that can't be fixed though, so once it is fixed (things I mentioned and others did), i think it will be a very nice nice site.

Some tools that should be checked on every site (and page on it) before launching:
  • Validate HTML http://validator.w3.org
  • Check for broken links with something line Xenu Link Sleuth (free)
  • Check Spelling (and also does links) with something like InSpyder InSite (not free, but for a development company, worth having for the little cost)
  • Use a tool like http://www.domaintools.com/seo-browser/ to see what the site will look like to search engines
  • SEO feature checkings, such as SEO Quake toolbar (use the "Diagnose" to see suggestions), in the seo-browser above, click on the (i) icon in top left for suggestions, another FF plugin SE Doctor.

-Greg

Page generated in 0.03239 seconds with 7 queries