View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Who has used union labor for contract jobs before?

We may be getting a job in south jersey in September that we bid on recently and is using union labor. I know our prices are competitive and should hear from them soon, but my main question is how does their payroll work?

I've heard that if they work M-F, by friday afternoon, you need to pay the union hall their check for all of their wages on the spot. Our own crew goes Friday-thursday on weekly payroll, which is then paid that following Friday, which gives us time to do all the office work of cutting the checks, checking hours etc. Is this really the case?

I understand that if we schedule 6 guys to work M-F, and they're calling for rain wed, thurs & Fri, they still show up each day, and you still pay them for 2hrs each day you don't need them, can you still have them work the 2hrs or you just need to send them home before the 2hrs is up?

Will they work longer than 8hrs in a day, and is that considered default overtime even if their weekly never hits 40hrs?

Is the standard 7-3pm with a 1hr paid lunch break?

I'll need to work out with them, that if we have 3-6 of their crew working, how many of our own company employees can work, what limitations i would have as the owner and if we have to stop by 3pm each day when they go home or what we can/can't do when they're not there... trust me, seen all the protests on the sides of jobsites because the unions unhappy with something.

Page generated in 0.04131 seconds with 7 queries