Thread: Seo Critique
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It got me interested and now I have a new hobby.

I view it as a sport, which is why I don't take on clients from the same service area. lol It does get addictive.

So- how am I doing so far? I know my site is nowhere near perfect. My current website template provider does not give me access to the html so I am somewhat limited. I will be switching to a different service this winter when I have time to redesign. In the meantime: what have I missed?

Working within the confines of a locked-down template, looks like you're doing okay. Areas you can improve would be:

location keywords and info - i see portland as a recurring theme, which is a competitive term, and one of the reasons you are probably struggling to see great search results. battling for portland is great, but you should absolutely pick the low-hanging fruit of suburb names and related towns. people have become much more sophisticated with their internet searches, so someone living in hillsdale or portsmouth is just as likely to search using those as they are portland. shape your content around the more specific municipalities.

meta description - get more descriptive. it's gone the way of meta keywords and the Dodo bird, as far as ranking signals go, but it's useful on some search results.

alt tags for images - put in location-based keywords (ie, stone wall in lake oswego)

images - looks like you guys do some great projects, so you should really showcase those now and in the future. you work in a visual medium, so really feature that. as they currently are, each small image you have run about 200k each. with the current visible size, you could go down to 25k without noticing one bit.

Your site's pic is on the left, at 200k. Mine is on the right, at 25k.

I would also recommending rewriting the maintenance page to be a bit more keyword rich and descriptive. You can create some nice H tags out of those new additions.

Continuing the rewriting thought, your home page has quite a few services that you offer, but only as a list. Where it makes sense, link those to additional sub-pages and write about what those services are/entail.

If you haven't done so, create a Google Webmaster Tools account and upload an xml sitemap. Here's a quick and easy sitemap generator.

The key to everyone's success here is to take advantage of the idea that you guys are only competing within a very specific area. Use hyper local keywords and target your content as such and you'll absolutely start seeing results.

Also, flip the tree frog so he's looking the other way...

Last edited by tonygreek; 06-28-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Page generated in 0.03632 seconds with 7 queries