View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am from Michigan. My irrigation runs lightly every day. And most irrigation companies will set up new systems this way. Grass does not think. Roots do not grow towards water, like we reach for a cold beer. My professor friend says that necrotic ring spot damage is much reduced by light daily irrigation. "Grass does not turn brown at night. Water during the hot part of the day. Use about 1/10 of an inch. Grass has maximum transpiration during the heat of the day. This is when the roots cannot keep up because they cannot pull enough water out of the soil fast enough to satisfy the transpiration demand."

We need some experiments guys--who is willing to conduct a side by side comparison?

Who is willing to dig up their grass to see how deep the roots are growing on the individual plots?

And we cannot forget about the soil type, percolation and aeration--roots need air. Sandy soil, fine, (but may drain too fast). Clay soil may be oxygen deficient or experience carbon dioxide at toxic levels in the deeper layers.

Low humidity and wind increase transpiration.

If there is a fungus situation--I usually recommend deeper--twice per week irrigation to reduce the average lawn humidity and hours per week of leaf wetness.

This is not easy. The top baseball groundskeepers are the experts. They have a critical eye for this. They can tell by looking if the grass needs water, but they want the soil firm for good ball bounce and playability. Greenskeepers just the same.

Page generated in 0.03451 seconds with 7 queries