View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Good Question and one I have ask myself many times. I could hire a Helper and have that head ache. If I hire 2 or 3 I can have a real head ache.

But you have it right, PC can be a very difficult market. Most CPO with both will trade 2 L&O for 1 good PC account. After years of dealing with the public I think I might of learned a few things. First don't let your customer interview you. You interview the customer while selling yourself. This establishes a pecking order from the start. Second and most important, SELL YOUR WEAKNESS. I am still learning inside PC, So I sell my weakness that I might not control the bug the first time. ""Mrs Jones rather than make your house Glow in the dark, I am going to take a more Conservative approach. If that doesn't work we will use more aggressive methods until the problem is solved"" Of course I pound the house so I don't have to come back. Gas cost more than pesticide.

Where I never had to have very much if any advertisement, PC requires a lot more. My Google bill runs just under $ 200 a month. My Yellow page ad is more. I use the EDDM program from the Post office. But my phone is averaging a call a day. I am closing 95% because I low balling a little to build a route. But of those calls 50% are one time calls that won't spring for yearly service. They will call me back any where from 6 months to two years for an other one time shot.

I hear ya on the headaches part. I'm trying to stay small myself until I move to San Diego. I just sold off 13 account back in April to a friend. Some paid good, but the overall money was low, some didn't pay enough but I knew wouldn't go for a price increase, some were scattered here and there. So instead of hiring another part time guy, I sold em off and am now making more money, with less accounts, and less grunt work. Maintaining 100-150 yards is not something I want to do. I want the high dollar, high margin, great accounts. I def. see why you want to do what your doing.

Page generated in 0.04082 seconds with 7 queries