View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Right but those $200 blade sharpeners only have 1/2 hp so they sport an 8" wheel which wears out a lot faster than the $700 1.5hp sharpener's 12" wheel, on the other hand if you're only mowing 2 days a week then likely that $190 Bradley might well be the ticket.

But if you think that's aggravating...
On the 1.5hp 12" wheel sharpeners I can't adjust the machine after the wheel is worn down to about 8" there is no more room left in the adjustment and so despite the fact that there's plenty of material left I have to replace the whole wheel!

Which...
1/2 hp isn't the most powerful motor and it might bog down under heavy operation but they're a lot cheaper...
Those 12" wheels run north of $100.
Each, plus shipping (and they are HEAVY).

Folks consider all of this before buying any of these machines, you get what you pay for and it's all in the power of the motor and the size of the wheel, then they have to be replaced every so often and a 12" wheel will run you $120+ but at the same rate it lasts a lot longer than the 8" wheel, I still wouldn't buy the most expensive sharpener for a part time operation.

Good to know considering I am in Florida, change blades daily for two mowers,and have over 100 year round accounts, have had my Bradly for well over a year and have not even uut a dent into the wheel. At this rate my estimated time of a replacement wheel will be at least 5 year. I will think I have gotten my less than $200 worth then. Good insight you have on how this machine will not function for someone doing "real lawn service". Ha What next are you going to tell me to purchase a John Deere because it will be the only commercial mower that will last in day to day operations? Just because you buy the most expensive item does not mean you got the best value. Sometime you have used too much of your lawn boy logic and paid attention to too many LS ads.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!

Page generated in 0.04935 seconds with 7 queries