View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkane97 View Post
I understand what you mean and if someone got me 32 accounts they could have my service for free all year no problems but my biggest problem with customer referrals is:
Existing Customer: Yea this kid is great he does an awesome job!
Potential Customer: How much does he charge?
Existing Customer: Oh he mows blows edges weedwhacks once weekly at my house for $45

Well my problem is the new referred customer wants her 2x the size lawn done for the same money, and when I give my quote (obviously higher) they are like "But you do Joe Blow's lawn for less!!?"
As annoying as that is, welcome to business, man. Its all about volume and you give enough people a price, you will get 'yeses'. Don't go into making excuses and getting very detailed about why it will cost more for their lawn, just say your lawn is bigger than Joe's and that's why the price is more expensive. If they can't understand that, you don't want them.

Obviously do not reward a customer for referring a potential client that doesn't actually hire you.

The truth is most people don't look at their lawn when you leave and think "wow, so beautiful. You know, that kid is great, i'm going to push all my friends to hire him too because I want them to have the best just like me"

No, they look out and say, "Great, the lawn is cut". IF someone in a conversation someday mentions that they need a lawn guy, they will then POSSIBLY mention in passing that their lawn guy is pretty good. But you can bet they won't push the issue.

You have to give them a reason to send people your way.

A better reason than that they love your service and want what is best for their friends and family. You need to inspire them, motivate them.

And reward them for every single person they send to you that hires you. Look at the value of that one customer. $40 a week for a 32 week season gives that customer a value of $1280 just for one year! And that is just mowing!

And that is for every customer.

THAT, my friend, is well worth giving away $40 worth of free work or cash.

Page generated in 0.04284 seconds with 7 queries