View Single Post
Old 07-16-2003, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another fireman mows grass...

In April of 2000, I had our 2nd child. I really didn't want to leave him in daycare while I worked full time. But we couldn't make the bills without some income from me. My husband is a full time firefighter which gives him several days off during each month. He came up with the idea of starting a lawn care business. I didn't want to at first, but if I worked with him mowing lawns, I wouldn't have to work full time for someone else. So on hubby's work days, I'm home being Mommy, on the other days, I'm out mowing.

It works out really well because I have always done office work, so I know how to do the business end of it.

We started out with a 1990 F-250, a commercial Honda 21", and Weedeater trimmer and blower, and an older Pro Plow for snow plowing. Year 2 got a 1998 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 truck with brand new pro plow, 16' trailer, Echo trimmer, Stihl Hedge Clippers, Husqvarna blower, and used a garden tractor to mow our larger accounts. Year 3, got a Scag ZTR 48", an aerator, and a dethatcher.

The first 2 years were a little rough, but this year, it has been awesome. I never dreamed that I would be mowing high end accounts in such a short time. Also, we have only lost 1 customer in 3 years. That was because her son started doing it for extra money.

I have watched other LCO's come and go since we started. I've learned from their mistakes. I have no desire to be the biggest LCO in town, only the best.

1998 GMC Pick Up w/2002 Western Pro Plow
18’ Open Trailer
Billy Goat Truck Loader
2003 48” SCAG ZTR
2004 61” SCAG ZTR
2000 Honda 21” Push mower
Little Wonder Edger
Honda String Trimmer
Echo String Trimmer
Husqvarna 145 & 165 blowers
Stihl Hedge clippers

www.garyfd2.com