View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

First of all - charging by the square foot to install pavers is the deadliest mistake you can make. No two properties are the same. Some have steep slopes. Some have nowhere to stage materials. Some are wide open easy access. Some have driveways you need to protect. I could go on and on. You jus never know....one day there may be an industry forum that is focused on topics like this

As far as diamond blade cost recovery. Yes, I DO factor in the cost of diamond blades on an individual job basis. I have "Diamond Blade" listed as a line item on my job cost sheet. it's NOT difficult.

Those of you that are buying $200 blades - you can STOP wasting your money. STOP NOW.

Effective immediately - do NOT pay any more than $85 to $90 for a 14-inch blade.

I used to buy the $200 blades for about 10 years.

The recession came and I was forced to buy the cheaper cost blades. (the recession has taught me ALOT about business and life)

We saw NO difference in the cut between a $200 blade and an $80 blade.

Here is an example:

Say a $200 blade will cut 400 linear feet of pavers (400 LF is not an actual number, it's used only as an example).

Ok, well I ASSURE you that ONE cheap $80 blade will cut at least 70% of what a $200 blade will cut.

400 x 70% = 280 linear feet

280 LF X 2 (2 $80 blades) = 560 linear feet.

So for $200 you're getting 400 linear feet.

And for $160 (2 cheap blades) you're getting 560 linear feet. That's 160 additional feet and you're gaining that with $40 less!

My diamond blade rep that I used to buy $200 blades from called to see if I needed blades. I had been ignoring his calls. So finally I talked to him and I said look "I can buy (2) $80 blades from our local supplier and get more linear footage out of them than I can with one of your $200 blades".

The sales rep was straight forward with me. He said "you are 100% correct, you do not need a $200 blade". (but he then tried to sell me $80 blades!)

Folks, I'm cocky. I'm arrogant. And I'm confident. People have cursed me out on this forum for me being me.

Key to success is: You have to be confident. If you have no self confidence - you can't expect your clients to have confidence in you. But here is another trait I have: I'm a very quiet person. I'm a thinker. And I think and I think, and I think. I observe, and I observe, and I observe. I'm quiet because my mind is processing. If anyone doubts my theory on diamond blades - then I challange you to prove me wrong! We been buying $80 blades for almost 4 years now, and I have NO intentions of ever going back to the $200 blades.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 07-19-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.03799 seconds with 7 queries