View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman608 View Post
Hey guys I need a little help. I am trying to get a lawn established for myself. I bought 5 acres last year that was clear cut many years ago and had a lot of growth on it when I bought it-sweetgums, small pines and oaks, briars and brush. I have placed my mobile home on the land and have been bush hogging the yard. I have a lot of small stumps a buddy of mine is going to push up with a dozer in late August early September. My plan is to go with rye grass for the winter because it will take a while to get the stumps up, fill in holes and grade the land like I want it. I plan on laying a couple of pallets of sod around the trailer soon. I want to get Bermuda established next spring by using seed. Questions: This fall should I mow it as low as possible, spray it, disk it, grade it and then spread rye grass? Of course I will get a soil sample, fertilize and cover seed as directed.

Soil is clay sand mix
Briars, poison ivy, some bermuda and some type of weeds that resemble cotton
I live for jobs like this. Do whatever it takes to get all of those roots, stumps, and everything out. Push them up and burn or take them to a land fill. I prefer to burn as the minerals are still there after the fire. Treegirl who used to post here was a great one also for clearing stuff--I wish she would still chime in every now and then.
Anyway make sure that all of the bad stuff is gone. before you do anykind of grass establishing. Is your land close to any run off areas? wetlands? If so, I'd check with the county office on what should be done. Run off of chemicals is bad new for water.
Another thing that might be considered is to let pulp wood cutters in for the winter if a paper mill is close bye.
Nothing better that hiring a D-9 cat to make quick work of the stumps. You wouldn't belief how quick those things can work. Make sure you control, contain and clean up your fire, should you do so.
Bermuda would be a good choice for hot climates. There are several varieties, but I don't treat Bermuda.
Call a reputable company to sow it, if you don't have the equipment.
Good for you on cleaning up trash land and establishing a home.
Roy

Page generated in 0.03952 seconds with 7 queries