View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I understand your point but I have to ask: In reality, how often have you taken the time, and gone to the trouble and expense to return a fixture on a warranty claim for a faulty socket? Perhaps it is my relative distance from distributors that causes me to repair fixtures far more often then I return them. It is far easier, cheaper, quicker and less hassle for us to simply swap out a faulty socket with a new one rather than:

Remove faulty fixture from system.
Take back to shop.
Package fixture.
Request RMA or Warranty Replacement from Dist.
Ship fixture back (at our cost)
Received warranty replacement into inventory
Return to site
Install new or repaired fixture.

My sense is that most opt for the field repair rather than the warranty claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLight View Post
While in theory I agree with a lot of what you are saying, I would be very careful encouraging folks to change out sockets on fixtures, especially drop in LED fixtures that carry long term warranties. Changing out sockets is an instant modification that will kill your warranty. Whether the socket is an upgrade or not, if as a contractor you are selling your fixtures with warranties, modifications of this kind will set you up for shouldering all responsibility. So even if you have a fixture that simply had a faulty lamp, broken shroud, waterproofing issues, etc.. you are providing the manu with an out anytime you modify their product.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA

Page generated in 0.03496 seconds with 7 queries