View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

...and how's that comparison with standard ferts going for you?? As the crow flies, I'm not that far from Memphis. I am 40 miles north of Little Rock. Weather conditions should be very comparable for you and I. How are your unirrigated lawns holding up to the "Ring of Fire" the weather channel keeps talking about? Has the Holganix helped.

The standard fertilizers work no doubt but they work in a different approach. I want to transition to an approach where I feed the soil which in turn feed the turf. Standard fertilizers feed the plants for 6-8 weeks but need another shot. Not that an organic/natural approach is any different in the beginning but over time I noticed the lawn remains a steady color longer. There are other benefits over time like early spring green-up,less weeds,preform better in drought,requires less watering. My lawn I water maybe once a week to 10 days but deeply and can take a two foot soil probe easily 2' down. My lawn has been off synthetic fertilizers & chemicals for 4 years.
Holganix results were seen best on shrubs. Even some customers noticed and commented on how well they looked. My worker has worked for me 13 yrs. and says this year there seems to be less insect problems. On the turf we have had mixed results but in general good overall results. To be fair to Holganix,results improve with use. I have applied 3 times this year. I want to try SumaGreen for remaining treatments. With Holganix saved money on fertilizer reduction (80%) and chemicals (about 30%) plus combined treatments since we sprayed and saved labor costs and time.We think lawns that have little organic matter for the microbes to feed upon did not respond well. A number of yards I have applied compost topdressing or compost tea and they did well. Don't expect a super green color as with Urera (46-0-0). I have added 1/4 lb. of Urea with my Holganix treatments per acre as well as a product that allows urea to go further.
As for drought,most all of my customers have irrigation. We are discovering in drought where irrigation is not reaching or they are not waterings deep enough or too frequent. A good opportunity to train customers how to properly water. I think irrigation companies don't like me as a result.
I am also trying to rid my stock pile of synthetic fertilizer and if I have customers without irrigation they probably get the standard treatment.Again my worker commented the yards seem to be holding up in drought and really came back and shined with the occasional rain. We are not in the drought conditions you are experiencing in Arkansas.
Some yards have dead zoysia on slopes that have no irrigation. In 2010 Memphis went 6 weeks without a drop of rain in August-September and the damage was seen in summer 2011 mostly because customers WITH irrigation were watering 20-25 minutes at 3 to 4 times a week and the roots went to the surface where the relentless day & night temperatures hurt them. Then due to the stress fungus developed on a number of yards. Mainly
Take all patch which I had never seen in zoysia or bermuda since I began doing this work in 1989. (This analysis of Take All was given by UT using a sod sample.)
Organic is frustrating because efforts can be trumped by improper watering and mowing practices. I pursue it because the field is opening up with new products that make it feasible but more so because I take interest in how soil works. It is how the Lord intended it to be and I am learning to work with nature instead of against it. I seek to learn how life works without becoming part of the naive green movement.

Page generated in 0.03118 seconds with 7 queries