View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
So do not take any offense at what I may say.
Not at all. I was hoping you'd weigh in on this topic with your thoughts. Much like with my site reviews on here, I try to avoid the subjective, and so I laid out sourced views and then added my opinion at the end.

Quote:
If you know how the meta keyword tag was meant to be used, and you used it that way then your not spamming and therefore your not going to be judged by BING.
Correct, but what I am pointing out is that it is not being used in a positive sense. It's not being used at all, for any "beneficial to your site reason", but if you are using it incorrectly, then you have a problem. It is not used to rule content in, or give your site weight, it is used to filter for the negative. That's the key difference. Sure, they can easily reopen that firehose of data and use it to establish relevance, but that ship has long since sailed.

I've been trying to think of something to equate this to, and the best I can come up with is comparing it to the old saying of "Nothing good happens after 2am". I think keyword meta tags are 2am. lol Maybe another comparison would be we as kids, or our own kids now, saying "You never focus on the good I do, just the bad.". God, I'm starting to reflect on too many things my parents said...

Quote:
SEO in my opinion is not about a quick fix or trying to beat the engines at their game.
Exactly. I only use long-term strategies. After an initial build, I don't even bother looking at anything other than making sure the indexes pick them up (which is easy to do within 24 hours now. beats the heck out of the old days and delays waiting for Googlebot, et al to roll through your site) and then give the site some time to settle in to it's initial, natural rank and then go from there.

Quote:
SEO is not hard, its the millions of people that make it hard. Do not try to cheat the engines, just build your site with details of what its .eally about. First and foremost when I build a site its about content to the customer. Then i will use the meta keyword tag to replicate that same content in my meta keyword tag for the engines. Nothing more nothing less.
This is why I'm glad you weighed in. Do real work, produce real content...and be damn glad everyone here is only competing at the local search level. lol National and global produces obstacles that luckily most on here don't have to deal with.

As long as I've been doing this, I've never seen the questions arising about the future direction of SEO the way many in the SEO community are right now. But if people maintain the course that you use, I think everyone will be okay. Obviously new methods need to be observed and utilizedn, and select old methods can safely be abandoned. The algorithm tweaks we've seen in the last couple of months, and especially Google's increased weighting emphasis on social reviews and other off-page, human-interactive sources, etc, in an attempt to have actual humans assist in establishing relevance is indicative of how little value Google is putting on some of the old school methods.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to my continued cursing of Google+'s absorption of Places... lol

Tony

Last edited by tonygreek; 08-01-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.03860 seconds with 7 queries