View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Member

My new toy

Hi guys, I am a brand new member here to this site, so please forgive me if I make mistakes, as I am learning and will take me a short while to get used to it. I love lawnmowers!

I was in the market for a ZTR riding mower, earlier this year, and I picked out 3 machines that took my interest, studied them, read reviews, watched YouTube videos on them, and I demoed them here on my property, in some cases, under the most horrible conditions, to see how they performed. I started out with a Ferris IS2000Z with 30hp Intek Commercial Turf Series engine, I believe it was, with Cyclonic Air Cleaner, ICD deck, 61-inch (without anti-scalp 360 degree rollers). I liked it, however, I wasn't that impressed with the engine. Cut was great, as well as ride, with 4-wheel suspension.

Next, I demoed a Hustler Super Z, with 37hp Kawi engine, 66-inch cut. Brand new out of the crate, 2012, with zero hours. Wow, what a beast! The 37hp kawi was unstoppable. Cut was great, ride wasn't near as good as the Ferris, no flex forks, and the deck had awful clumping issues, as well as discharge. The 37hp was a major gas hog, as well. I could literally see the gas line in the tank, go down, by the minute.

Third, another Dealer brought out a Ferris IS3100Z. It was last year's model, 2011. It had a 32hp Vanguard engine on it, 61-inch old-style deck (with 360 degree anti-scalp rollers). Absolutely NO comparison between the 2 Ferris mowers. The 32hp Vanguard blows away the 30hp Commercial Turf Series engine.

So.........I bought the 2011 Ferris IS3100Z with old-style deck. I don't mow commercially, just my 10 acres, most of which is open field. I never mow when it's wet, and striping isn't a big deal to me. I know some will call me crazy, but I prefer the old-style deck, over the ICD deck, mainly because it has the 360 degree rotating anti-scalp rollers, and it sounds good, when you get it cranking! I think the 32hp Vanguard engine, is almost just as powerful as the 37 Kawi, and is MUCH more easy on gas!

Let me see if I can post a few photos of my Ferris. Love it!!
Attached Images

Page generated in 0.04081 seconds with 8 queries