View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
I agree with you Ric many are out of touch but not all. I got an e-mail yesterday from a customer who has several homes including a very nice home that I take care of right on the bend of the river. The husband has been having medical issues and they have sold the home. Every April they pay for the year in advance, no discount, and I e-mail an invoice and they pay by credit card for any extras that might come up. She thanked me for our service and said to keep the credit balance as a thank you. I think we all just need to stay positive and keep an open mind about customers, equipment set ups and all aspects of our business, there is always something to learn.
For Years I chased the PITA customers who wanted the perfect yard. I spend a small fortune on chemicals and I have a barn full of different chemicals. While I was charging Top Dollar I was also spending Top Dollar for all the BEST products. I recognize now that part of the Perfect work syndrome was my Ego talking. I think that is human nature to want to be competitive.

Today I am spraying Arena on a few yards at a Cost of $ 4.50 a thousand. For that same $ 4.50 I can kill an acre of Fire Ants and have 10 time less hassle with the customer. I still have More L&O than Ants customer but I am working at getting out of L&O and just doing Ants or My Mow & Go as a CPO. I keep the same amount of Money from each Ants customer as I do from an L&O customer, only I charge the Ant customer a lot less. Oh and Ant Spraying takes less time and is IMHO easier. I could go on about L&O I use a big Cab Over and Ants I only use a pick up truck and the related costs etc etc. But Bottom line is I am a Mow & Go guy now and proud of it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Page generated in 0.04625 seconds with 7 queries