View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

If i go about cutting 1/3 of the green portion of the grass, will i ever be able to reduce the overall height of the grass? Meaning, will the green portion get lower to the ground?

If what i've done is way too much and will damage the grass then i can't continue until i can scalp it all down next spring in prep for leveling. Is angular sharp sand the recommended method for leveling vs. sand/topsoil mix or some of my native red clay? I've been told soil filled into holes will smoother the bermunda where sand won't. I've also read where too much sand to level in one spot will create future watering issues ...

http://www.walterreeves.com/lawn-care/lawn-leveling/
"NOT PURE SAND It is easy for a homeowner to level a lawn. The first task, however, is to unlearn what you see at a golf course. There, sand is commonly used to fill divots made by golf clubs. Since the soil beneath has a high percentage of sand, adding sand to the damaged spot doesnít change the structural characteristics of the soil.

Normals lawns, though, are not built with a soil mix approved by United States Golf Association. We typically have soil that contains lots of clay. If you add pure sand on top of clay the drainage and growth characteristics of the soil are disjointed. Grass growing in the sand is more susceptible to drought and cold injury. Internal soil drainage is worsened.

HALF AND HALF You can easily make your own lawn patching soil by mixing sand and planting soil in a 1:1 proportion in your wheelbarrow. Some of the retail soil companies have gone so far as to package and sell such a mixture specifically labeled for lawn leveling."

I can continue cutting the lawn at 3-4" for the rest of this season and it sounds like that's the best thing for it.

Page generated in 0.04608 seconds with 7 queries