View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYTILIDIE View Post
I was like that LONG before I ever even thought of starting my own company.

Mainly it's because I have done it and made it so why can't they? Also, this guy lives in a house that should be condemned, he has a 6 year old son, a wife that doesn't work, he never fails to tell me how he's glad he gets 40 hours because of how bad he needs the money, then he calls in all the time or finds some reason why he can't do something. If my family relied on me like that, I would never screw up anything. I'd bust my ass to get a raise and work harder for the next one.
Sounds like you have/had a good dad. I think a good work ethic is something that is learned and can be taught, but it starts from a very young age. I also realize that some people just have a stronger natural drive that others, maybe that is your deal.

You are a business owner for a reason. You were not scared to take the leap. It's easy to go to work every day for someone else. It's much harder to go out and generate your own work.

Some people just don't have what it takes to be a good provider. Some people have low expectations of themselves. Some people are just plain stupid, can't see the forest for the trees.

I was an excellent (actually i was criticized for being to much of a perfectionist i.e. taking my time to do it right i.e. not fit for slammin out yard after yard driven by $$$) full-time employee for a Landscaping company for 4 years while I went to college. I saw many other crew leaders come and go. Most of the problems were drug related. The illegals were the ones you could count on. I've never meet a lazy illegal but i've sure met a lot of lazy fellow citizens....my boss eventually turned me into the "customer has a problem" solver. So me and one or two guys would go "fix" everything his crew leaders who slammed out the jobs screwed up.

One of the biggest things i learned from that experience was how to take a group of 12 men, who you can't communicate very well with, and turn them into a smooth functioning group that pays attention to all the details, points out problems, THINKS AHEAD, and works harder for you than anyone else. Pretty simple to do, just work as hard (or harder) then they do. Of course that's how i was raised growing up working on family xmas tree farm.

In my first job interview after graduating one person asked me what would be my dream job....my answer was I'd love to be one of those guys mowing I-40 between Chatt. and Knox. when asked why i said "Because it's just you and the machine and a job to do, when you are done at the end of the day you can look back and see what progress you've made, and look ahead to see what you need to do".

Page generated in 0.04692 seconds with 7 queries