Thread: Horrible yard
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownAmateur View Post
Tell us a bit about how much/often you water and how. In those browned out areas, press a screwdriver into a few spots and see how easily the screwdriver goes into the soil. Watering/compaction are 2 things that come to mind immediately with this scenario.

What did you see happen over the summer...did it slowly turn brown, was water collecting, lots of foot traffic? Tell us what you think is different between your lawn and the neighbors or this year versus the past years when it looked better. More pics would help also.
In May and June I watered my back yard only (sperate sections per day, as yard is big) through a hose and sprinkler for about an hour each area. Neighbors never watered. My front lawn is completely brown, back is half brown. I have hered of and tried the screwdriver tool to test throughout the summer and it always went in smooth, even the front yard. A house about 10 down from mine is the same.

A friend of mine has a landscaping company and he doesnt even know why my yard is like this and he's been in the business for 20+ years (pretty much just cutting and brick patios), but he is going to kill entire front yard and then hydoseed in September. Back yard is bad, but not as bad as front. Front yard is completely 75% original bent grass (I think, because it grows to about 6" and lays flat) and 25% KBG from overseeding through the years.

I have lived here since 2004 and always had a company treat my lawn and it always looked great until last summer and had the same problem, but nowhere near as bad. I cancelled their service and started doing it myself with Milorganite as of July 2011. This year entire front yard is like the pic.

Page generated in 0.04798 seconds with 7 queries