View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Telling the good systems from the bad!

I am not a pro by no means for install of irrigation. I have done a few, fixed alot of heads and do alot of adjustments all for clients we have for lawn cutting/maintanence accounts.

When installing I call a friend who knows. He has 38 years of irrigation life in him. ON a big commerical job that we mow now for many years and he installed etc that system and we got to know each other. He has helped on a few systems that we sold. I was by no means the cheapest but I got the job.

There is another crew that slams systems in. Usually 4-6 men a day and they just did two new houses again in my town. Both yards 20k sq ft and less than a day had both in. This guy calls me since our business is about a 1/2 mile away and ask for me to come over. I am thinking great - there ready for yard work only to see irrigation running already.

Long story short - he wondered if I could re-adjust a few heads for him (if I knew how) and if I did he would of called us to check a price with us but now he calls us cuz I am close and the others are from outta town. A few heads totally wrong direction, want a free car wash, park your car cuz that was all two heads were doing, watering the street, the other head was over shooting so far I bet it was hitting 40 foot away and missing everything in between. The other head was watering half his neighbors yard due to being over lot line and just not adjusted. I asked him about his water pressure. He said about 45-50. He had 8 heads running - they alll looked like there were peeing a little stream. Just not good.

I gave him a few pointers and he said he hoped his yard looked as good as mine, our shop, his neighbors down the street. I told him it could of if you called us. He said he was sorry that he didn't know etc.

In the end, I told him to call his other crew back and tell them to adjust. He said well they charge a mileage fee - I said thats why upfront they were cheaper and said thanks and call us in the future.

Amazing to me how alittle planning and proper adjustment, placement etc can go to having a great looking yard.

Page generated in 0.03405 seconds with 7 queries